The Rural Technology Initiative ceased operations in 2011. This site is maintained as an archive of works from RTI collaborators from 2000 to 2011 and is no longer updated. RTI's successor and remaining staff can be found at

Search the RTI Website
Click to go to the Precision Forestry Cooperative website
Click to go to the RTI Home page
Click to go to the About RTI page
Click to go to the RTI Projects page
Click to go to the RTI Publications page
Click to go to the RTI Tools page
Click to go to the RTI Geographic Information Systems page
Click to go to the RTI Streaming Video Directory
Click to go to the RTI Training page
Click to go to the RTI Contacts page
Click to go to the RTI Image Archive
Click to go to the RTI Site Map
Click to go to the RTI Links page


Adhesive—A substance capable of holding materials together by surface attachment. It is a general term and includes cements, mucilage, and paste, as well as glue.

Air-Dried—(See Seasoning.)

American Lumber Standards —American lumber standards embody provisions for softwood lumber dealing with recognized classifications, nomenclature, basic grades, sizes, description, measurements, tally, shipping, provisions, grademarking, and inspection of lumber. The primary purpose of these standards is to serve as a guide in the preparation or revision of the grading rules of the various lumber manufacturers' associations. A purchaser must, however, make use of association rules because the basic standards are not in themselves commercial rules.

Angiosperms—Various  orders of hardwoods that have true flowers and seeds enclosed in a fruit.

Anisotropic—Exhibiting different properties when measured along different axes. In general, fibrous materials such as wood are anisotropic.

Annual Growth Ring—The layer of wood growth put on a tree during a single growing season. In the temperate zone the annual growth rings of many species (e.g., oaks and pines) are readily distinguished because of differences in the cells formed during the early and late parts of the season. In some temperate zone species (black gum and sweetgum) and many tropical species, annual growth rings are not easily recognized.

Bleaching, pulp—The process of removing residual lignin from pulp to improve the brightness and strength.

Board—(See Lumber.)

Board Foot—A unit of measurement of lumber represented by a board 1 foot long, 12 inches wide, and 1 inch thick or its cubic equivalent. In practice, the board foot calculation for lumber 1 inch or more in thickness is based on its nominal thickness and width and the actual length. Lumber with a nominal thickness of less than 1 inch is calculated as 1 inch.

Bole—The main stem or trunk of a tree of substantial diameter—roughly, capable of yielding sawtimber, veneer logs, or large poles, Seedlings, saplings, and small-diameter trees have stems, not boles.

Bolt—(1) A short section of a tree trunk; (2) in veneer production, a short log of a length suitable for peeling in a lathe.

Bond—(noun). The union of materials by adhesives.

Bond—(verb). To unite materials by means of an adhesive.

Bucking—Cross-cutting felled trees into logs or bolts.

Built-Up Timbers—An assembly made by joining layers of lumber together with mechanical fastenings so that the grain of all laminations is essentially parallel.

Calorific value—The potential heat-production value of a wood source. Depends on the cellulos-lignin ratio, the percentage of extractives, and the moisture content.

Cellulose—The carbohydrate that is the principal constituent of wood and forms the framework of the wood cells.

Chipper Canter—A headrig machine that reduces barked logs directly to chips and cants without producing sawdust.

Circular saw—A circular metal plate with teeth on the circumference that rotates on a drive shaft.

Close-Grained Wood—(See Grain.)

Coarse-Grained Wood—(See Grain.)

Cold- Pressed Plywood—(See Plywood.)

Composites—Built-up, bonded products consisting wholly of natural wood, or in combination with metals,
plastics, etc.

Compression Wood—Abnormal wood formed on the lower side of branches and inclined trunks of softwood trees. Compression wood is identified by its relatively wide annual rings (usually eccentric when viewed on cross section of branch or trunk), relatively large amount of summerwood, sometimes more than 50 percent of the width of the annual rings in which it occurs, and its lack of demarcation between earlywood and latewood in the same annual rings. Compression wood shrinks excessively lengthwise, as compared with normal wood.

Conifer—(See Softwoods or Gymnosperms.)

Cross-Grained Wood—(See Grain.)

Curly-Grained Wood—(See Grain.)

Deciduous—(See Hardwoods or Angiosperms.)

Density—As usually applied to wood of normal cellular form, density if the mass of wood substance enclosed within the boundary surfaces of a wood-plus-voids complex having unit volume. It is variously expressed as pounds per cubic foot, kilograms per cubic meter, or grams per cubic centimeter at a specified moisture content.

Diagonal-Grained Wood—(See Grain.)

Dimension—(See Lumber.)

Dressed Size—(See Lumber.)

Dry Kiln—(See Kiln.)

Earlywood—The portion of the annual growth ring that is formed during the early part of the growing season. It is usually less dense and weaker mechanically than latewood. Also called springwood.

Edge-Grained Lumber—(See Grain.)

Encased Knot—(See Knot.)

End-Grained Wood—(See Grain.)

Equilibrium Moisture Content—The moisture content at which wood neither gains nor loses moisture when surrounded by air at a given relative humidity and temperature.

Exterior Plywood—(See Plywood.)

Extractive—Substances in wood, not an integral part of the cellular structure, that can be removed by solution in hot or cold water, ether, benzene, or other solvents that do not react chemically with wood components.

Extruded Particleboard—(See Particleboard.)

Factory and Shop Lumber—(See Lumber.)

Fiberboard—A broad generic term inclusive of sheet materials of widely varying densities manufactured of refined or partially refined wood (or other vegetable) fibers. Bonding agents and other materials may be added to increase strength, resistance to moisture, fire, or decay, or to improve some other property. (See Medium-Density Fiberboard.)

Fiber Saturation Point—The stage in the drying or wetting of wood at which the cell walls are saturated and the cell cavities free from water. It applies to an individual cell or group of cells, not to whole boards. It is usually taken as approximately 30 percent moisture content, based on ovendry weight.

Fiddleback-Grained Wood—(See Grain.)

Fine-Grained Wood—(See Grain.)

Flakeboard—(See Particleboard.)

Flat-Grained Wood—(See Grain.)

Flitch—A portion of a log sawn on two or more faces—commonly on opposite faces leaving two waney edges. When intended for resawing into lumber, it is resawn parallel to its original wide faces. Or, it may be sliced or sawn into veneer, in which case the resulting sheets of veneer laid together in the sequence of cutting are called a flitch. The term is loosely used.

Furnish—The wood material which has been reduced for incorporation into wood-based fiber or particle panel products.

Glue Laminating—Production of structural or nonstructural wood members by bonding two or more layers of wood together with adhesive.

Glue—Originally, a hard gelatin obtained from  hides, tendons, cartilage, bones, etc., of animals. Also, an adhesive prepared from this substance by heating with water. Through general use the term is now synonymous with the term "Adhesive."

Grade—The designation of the quality of a manufactured piece of wood or of logs.

Grain—The direction, size, arrangement, appearance, or quality of the fibers in wood or lumber. To have a specific meaning the term must be qualified.

  • Close-Grained Wood—Wood with narrow, inconspicuous annual rings. The term is sometimes used to designate wood having small and closely spaced pores, but in this sense the term "fine textured" is more often used.

  • Coarse-Grained Wood—Wood with wide conspicuous annual rings in which there is considerable difference between springwood and summerwood. The term is sometimes used to designate wood with large pores, such as oak, ash, chestnut, and walnut, but in this sense the term "coarse textured" is more often used.

  • Cross-Grained Wood—Wood in which the fibers deviate from a line parallel to the sides of the piece. Cross grain may be either diagonal or spiral grain or a combination of the two.

  • Curly-Grained Wood—Wood in which the fibers are distorted so that they have a curled appearance, as in "birdseye" wood. The areas showing curly grain may vary up to several inches in diameter.

  • Diagonal-Grained Wood—Wood in which the annual rings are at an angle with the axis of a piece as a result of sawing at an angle with the bark of the tree or log. A form of cross-grain.

  • Edge-Grained Lumber—Lumber that has been sawed so that the wide surfaces extend approximately at right angles to the annual growth rings. Lumber is considered edge grained when the rings form an angle of 45˚ to 90˚ with the wide surface of the piece.

  • End-Grained Wood—The grain as seen on a cut made at a right angle to the direction of the fibers (e.g., on a cross section of a tree).

  • Fiddleback-Grained Wood—Figure produced by a type of fine wavy grain found, for example, in species of maple; such wood being traditionally used for the backs of violins.

  • Fine-Grained Wood—(See Grain.)

  • Flat-Grained Wood—Lumber that has been sawed parallel to the pith and approximately tangent to the growth rings. Lumber is considered flat grained when the annual growth rings make an angle of less than 45˚ with the surface of the piece.

  • Interlocked-Grained WoodGrain in which the fibers put on for several years may slope in a right-handed direction, and then for a number of years the slope reverses to a left-handed direction, and later changes back to a right-handed pitch, and so on. Such wood is exceedingly difficult to split radially, though tangentially it may split fairly easily.

  • Open-Grained Wood—Common classification for woods with large pores, such as oak, ash chestnut, and walnut. Also known as "coarse textured."

  • Plainsawed Lumber—Another term for flat-grained lumber.

  • Quartersawed Lumber—Another term for edge-grained lumber.

  • Side-Grained Wood—Another term for flat-grained lumber.

  • Slash-Grained Wood—Another term for flat-grained lumber.

  • Spiral-Grained Wood—Wood in which the fibers take a spiral course about the trunk of a tree instead of the normal vertical course. The spiral may extend in a right-handed or left-handed direction around the tree trunk. Spiral grain is a form of cross grain.

  • Straight-Grained Wood—Wood in which the fibers run parallel to the axis of a piece.

  • Vertical-Grained Lumber—Another term for edge-grained lumber.

  • Wavy-Grained Wood—Wood in which the fibers collectively take the form of waves or undulations.

Green.—Freshly sawed or undried wood. Wood that has become completely wet after immersion in water would not be considered green, but may be said to be in the "green condition."

Growth Ring—(See Annual Growth Ring.)

Gymnosperm—A term signifying plants bearing exposed seeds, usually borne in cones. See also softwoods.

Hardboard—A generic term for a panel manufactured primarily from interfelted ligno-cellulosic fibers (usually wood), consolidated under heat and pressure in a hot press to a density of 31 pounds per cubic foot or greater, and to which other materials may have been added during manufacture to improve certain properties.

Hardwoods—Generally one of the botanical groups of trees that have broad leaves in contrast to the conifers or softwoods. The term has no reference to the actual hardness of the wood. (Also called Angiosperms/

Heartwood—The wood extending from the pith to the sapwood, the cells of which no longer participate in the life processes of the tree. Heartwood may contain phenolic compounds, gums, resins, and other materials that usually make it darker and more decay resistant than sapwood.

Hemicellulose—A celluloselike material (in wood) that is easily decomposable as by dilute acid, yielding several different simple sugars.

Holocellulose—The total carbohydrate fraction of wood that is, cellulose plus hemicellulose.

Horiziontally Laminated Timbers—Laminated timbers designed to resist bending loads applied perpendicular to the wide faces of the laminations.

Insulating Board—(See Structural Insulating Board.)

Intergrown Knot—(See Knot.)

Interior Plywood—(See Plywood.)

Interlocked-Grained Wood—(See Grain.)

Juvenile wood—The innermost layers of wood adjacent to the pith, formed during the juvenile years of the tree's growth. Certain features, such as cell structure and size, differ from those typical of mature wood.

Kiln—A chamber having controlled air-flow, temperature, and relative humidity for drying lumber, veneer, and other wood products.

Kiln Dried—(See Seasoning.)

Knot—That portion of a branch or limb that has been surrounded by subsequent growth of the stem. The shape of the knot as it appears on a cut surface depends on the angle of the cut relative to the long axis of the knot.

  • Encased Knot—A knot whose rings of annual growth are not intergrown with those of the surrounding wood.

  • Intergrown Knot—A knot whose rings of annual growth are completely intergrown with those of the surrounding wood.

  • Loose Knot—A knot that is not held firmly in place by growth or position and that cannot be relied upon to remain in place.

  • Pin Knot—A knot that is not more than 1/2 inch in diameter.

  • Sound Knot—A knot that is solid across its face, at least as hard as the surrounding wood, and shows no indication of decay.

  • Spike Knot—A knot cut approximately parallel to its long axis so that the exposed section is definitely elongated.

Kraft (sulfate) process—A chemical pulping process in which lignin is dissolved by a solution of sodium hydroxide and sodium sulfide.

Kraft pulp—A chemical wood pulp obtained by cooking wood chips at high temperature in a solution of sodium hydroxide and sodium sulfide.

Laminated Timbers—An assembly made by bonding layers of veneer or lumber with an adhesive so that the grain of all laminations is essentially parallel (see Built-Up Timbers).

Laminated Veneer Lumber—(LVL). A structural lumber manufactured from veneers laminated into a panel with the grain of all veneer running parallel to each other. The resulting panel is normally manufactured in 3/4 to 1-1/2 inch thicknesses and ripped to common lumber widths of 1-1/2 to 11-1/2 inches, or wider.

Laminate—A product made by bonding together two or more layers (laminations) of material or materials.

Latewood—The portion of the annual growth ring that is formed after the earlywood formation has ceased. It is usually denser and stronger mechanically than earlywood. Also called summerwood.

Layup—The process of loosely assembling the adhesive-coated components of a unit, particularly a panel, to be pressed or clamped.

Lignin—The second most abundant constituent of wood, located principally in the secondary wall and the middle lamella, which is the thin cementing layer between wood cells. Chemically it is an irregular polymer of substituted propylphenol groups, and thus no simple chemical formula can be written for it.

Longitudinal—Generally, parallel to the direction of the wood fibers.

Loose Knot—(See Knot.)

Lumber—The product of the saw and planing mill not further manufactured than by sawing, resawing, passing lengthwise through a standard planing machine, crosscutting to length, and matching.

  • Boards—Lumber that is nominally less than 2 inches thick and 2 or more inches wide. Boards less than 6 inches wide are sometimes called strips.

  • Dimension—Lumber with a nominal thickness of from 2 up to but not including 5 inches and a nominal width of 2 inches or more.

  • Dressed Size—The dimensions of lumber after being surfaced with a planing machine. The dressed size is usually 1/2 to 3/4 inch less than the nominal or rough size. A 2- by 4-inch stud, for example, actually measures about 1-1/2 by 3-1/2 inches.

  • Factory and Shop Lumber—Lumber intended to be cut up for use in further manufacture. It is graded on the basis of the percentage of the area that will produce a limited number of cuttings of a specified minimum size and quality.

  • Matched Lumber—Lumber that is edge dressed and shaped to make a close tongued-and-grooved joint at the edges or ends with laid edge to edge or end to end.
  • Nominal Size—As applied to timber or lumber, the size by which it is known and sold in the market; often differs from the actual size.

  • Patterned Lumber—Lumber that is shaped to a pattern or to a molded form in addition to being dressed, matched, or shiplapped, or any combination of these workings.

  • Rough Lumber—Lumber that has not been dressed (surfaced) but which has been sawed, edged, and trimmed.

  • Shiplapped Lumber—Lumber that is edge dressed to make a lapped joint.

  • Shipping-Dry Lumber—Lumber that is partially dried to prevent stain and mold in transit.

  • Shop Lumber—(See Lumber.)

  • Side Lumber—A board from the outer portion of the log—ordinarily one produced when squaring off a log for a tie or timber.

  • Structural Lumber—Lumber that is intended for use where allowable properties are required. The grading of structural lumber is based on the strength or stiffness of the piece as related to anticipated uses.

  • Surfaced Lumber—Lumber that is dressed by running it through a planer.

  • Timbers—Lumber that is nominally 5 or more inches in least dimension. Timbers may be used as beams, stringers, posts, caps, sills, girders, purlins, etc.

  • Yard Lumber—A little-used term for lumber of all sizes and patterns that is intended for general building purposes having no design property requirements.

Marine Plywood—(See Plywood.)

Mat-Formed Particleboard—(See Particleboard.)

Matched Lumber—(See Lumber.)

Mechanical pulping—The production of fibers and fiber bundles by grinding wood with pulpstones or by mechanical refiners as opposed to chemical methods.

Medium-Density Fiberboard—A panel product manufactured from lignocellulosic fibers combined with a synthetic resin or other suitable binder. The panels are manufactured to a density of 31 pcf (0.50 specific gravity) to 55 pcf (0.88 specific gravity) by the application of heat and pressure by a process in which the interfiber bond is substantially created by the added binder. Other materials may have been added during manufacturing to improve certain properties.

Mende-Process Board—(See Particleboard.)

Moisture Content—The amount of water contained in the wood, either expressed as a percentage of the weight of the ovendry wood or as a percentage of total weight of a piece.

Molded Plywood—(See Plywood.)

Multilayer Particleboard—(See Particleboard.)

Nominal-Size Lumber—(See Lumber.)

Open-Grained Wood—(See Grain.)

Oriented Strand Board—(See Particleboard.)

Ovendry Wood—Wood dried to a relatively constant weight in a ventilated oven at 102 to 105˚C.

Paperboard—A general term describing sheets made of fibrous material 0.012 in. or more in thickness. Compared with paper, paperboard is heavier per unit area, thicker, and more rigid. Paperboard is the term used to describe any single variety, or group of varieties, of board materials used in the production of boxes, folding cartons, and solid fiber and corrugated shipping containers.

Paper—Generally, a matted or felted sheet of vegetable fiber, formed on a screen from a water suspension, used for writing and printing as well as for wrapping and many other purposes. Paper is one of two broad subdivisions of the general term, papers; the other is paperboard.

Particleboard—A generic term for a material manufactured from wood particles or other ligno-cellulosic material and a synthetic resin or other suitable binder.

  • Extruded Particleboard—A particleboard made by ramming binder-coated particles into a heated die, which subsequently cures the binder and forms a rigid mass as the material is moved through the die.

  • Flakeboard—A particle panel product composed of flakes.

  • Mat-Formed ParticleboardA particleboard in which the particles (being previously coated with the binding agent) are formed into a mat having substantially the same length and width as the finished panel. This mat is then duly pressed in a heated flat-platen press to cure the binding agent.

  • Mende-Process BoardA particleboard made in a continuous ribbon from wood particles with thermosetting resins used to bond the particles. Thickness ranges from 1/32 to 1/4 inch.

  • Multilayer Particleboard—A type of construction in which the wood particles are made or classified into different sizes and placed into the preprocessed panel configuration to produce a panel with specific properties. Panels which are destined for primarily nonstructural uses requiring smooth faces are configured with small particles on the outside and coarser particles on the interior (core). Panels designed for structural application may have flakes aligned in orthogonal directions in various layers which mimic the structure of plywood. Three- and five-layer constructions are most common.

  • Oriented Strand Board—A type of particle panel product composed of strand-type flakes which are purposefully alined in directions which make a panel stronger, stiffer, and with improved dimensional properties in the alinement directions than a panel with random flake orientation.

  • Waferboard—A particle panel product made of wafer-type flakes. Usually manufactured to possess equal properties in all directions parallel to the plane of the panel.

Particles—The aggregate component of particleboard manufactured by mechanical means from wood. These include all small subdivisions of wood such as chips, curls, flakes, sawdust, shavings, silvers, strands, wafers, wood flour, and wood wool.

Patterned Lumber—(See Lumber.)

Peel—To convert a log into veneer by rotary cutting.

Pile—A long, heavy timber, round or square, that is driven deep into the ground to provide a secure foundation for structures built on soft, wet, or submerged sites; e.g., landing stages, bridge abutments.

Pin Knot—(See Knot.)

Plainsawed Lumber—(See Grain.)

Plywood—A glued wood panel made up of relatively thin layers of veneer with the grain of adjacent layers at right angles, or of veneer in combination with a core of lumber or of reconstituted wood. (See Composites.) The usual constructions have an odd number of layers.

  • Cold-Pressed Plywood—Refers to interior-type plywood manufactured in a press without external applications of heat.

  • Exterior Plywood—A general term for plywood bonded with a type of adhesive that by systematic tests and service records has proved highly resistant to weather; micro-organisms; cold, hot, and boiling water; steam; and dry heat.

  • Interior Plywood—A general term for plywood manufactured for indoor use or in construction subjected to only temporary moisture. The adhesive used may be interior, intermediate, or exterior.

  • Marine Plywood—Plywood panels manufactured with the same glueline durability requirements as other exterior-type panels but with more restrictive veneer quality requirements.

  • Molded Plywood—Plywood that is glued to the desired shape either between curved forms or more commonly by fluid pressure applied with flexible bags or blankets (bag molding) or other means.

  • Postformed Plywood—The product formed when flat plywood is reshaped into a curved configuration by steaming or plasticizing agents.

Postformed Plywood—(See Plywood.)

Preservative—Any substance that, for a reasonable length of time, is effective in preventing the development and action of wood-rotting fungi, borers of various kinds, and harmful insects that deteriorate wood.

Quartersawed Lumber—(See Grain.)

Radial—Coincident with a radius from the axis of the tree or log to the circumference. A radial section is a lengthwise section in a plane that passes through the center line of the tree stem.

Reaction Wood—Wood with more or less distinctive anatomical characters, formed typically in parts of leaning or crooked stems and in branches. In hardwoods this consists of tension wood and in softwoods of compression wood.

Relative Density—Formerly called specific gravity. As applied to wood, the ratio of the oven-dry weight of a sample to the weight of a volume of water equal to the volume of the sample at a specified moisture content (green, air-dry, or oven-dry).

Relative Humidity—Ratio of the amount of water vapor present in the air to that which the air would hold at saturation at the same temperature. It is usually considereed on the basis of the weight of the vapor but, for accuracy, should be considered on the basis of vapor pressures.

Rotary-Cut Veneer—(See Veneer.)

Rough Lumber—(See Lumber.)

Sapwood— The wood of pale color near the outside of the log. Under most conditions the sapwood is more susceptible to decay than heartwood.

Saw Kerf—(1) Grooves or notches made in cutting with a saw; (2) that portion of a log, timber, or other piece of wood removed by the saw as sawdust in parting the material into two pieces.

Sawed Veneer—(See Veneer.)

Seasoning—Removing moisture from green wood to improve its serviceability.

  • Air-Dried—Dried by exposure to air in a yard or shed, without artificial heat.

  • Kiln-Dried—Dried in a kiln with the use of artificial heat.

Semichemical pulp—Pulp obtained by mild treatment of wood chips by any of the chemical pulping processes, which remove only part of the lignin from the wood chips, followed by mechanical treatment to complete the separation of individual cellulose fibers.

Shakes—In construction, a type of shingle usually hand cleft from a bolt and used for roofing or weatherboarding.

Shaving—A small wood particle of indefinite dimensions developed incidental to certain woodworking operations involving rotary cutterheads usually turning in the direction of the grain. This cutting action produces a thin chip of varying thickness, usually feathered along at least one edge and thick at another and generally curled.

Sheathing—The structural covering, usually of boards, building fiberboards, or plywood, placed over exterior studding or rafters of a structure.

Shingles—Thin, rectangular pieces of wood, sawn along the grain and tapering in thickness, used like tiles for roofing and weatherboarding.

Shiplapped Lumber—(See Lumber.)

Shipping-Dry Lumber—(See Lumber.)

Shop Lumber—(See Lumber.)

Shrinkage—Contraction caused by drying wood below the fiber saturation point; it is greater in the wide face of flat-grain than in edge-grain lumber, and minimal in the longitudinal direction.

Side Lumber—(See Lumber.)

Side-Grained Wood—(See Grain.)

Siding—The finish covering of the outside wall of a frame building, whether made of horizontal weatherboards, vertical boards with battens, shingles, or other material.

Slab—The exterior portion of a log removed in sawing lumber.

Slash-Grained Wood—(See Grain.)

Sliced Veneer—(See Veneer.)

Softwoods—Generally, one of the botanical groups of trees that in most cases have needlelike or scalelike leaves, the conifers, also the wood produced by such trees.  The term has no reference to the actual hardness of the wood. (See Gymnosperm.)

Sound Knot—(See Knot.)

Specific Gravity—(See Relative Density.)

Specific heat—The heat in joules required to raise the temperature of one gram of wood 1˚C.

Spike Knot—(See Knot.)

Spiral Grain—(See Grain.)

Spiral-Grained Wood—(See Grain.)

Springwood—See earlywood.

Stem—The principal axis of a tree, capable of producing sawlogs, veneer logs, large poles, or pulpwood.

Straight Grained—(See Grain.)

Straight-Grained Wood—(See Grain.)

Structural Insulating Board—A generic term for a homogeneous panel made from lignocellulosic fibers (usually wood or cane) characterized by an integral bond produced by interfelting of the fibers, to which other materials may have been added during manufacture to improve certain properties, but which has not been consolidated under heat and pressure as a separate stage in manufacture, said board having a density of less than 31 pcf (specific gravity 0.50) but having a density of more than 10 pcf (specific gravity 0.16).

Structural Lumber—(See Lumber.)

Structural Timbers—Pieces of wood of relatively large size, the strength or stiffness of which is the controlling element in their selection and use. Examples of structural timbers are trestle timbers (stringers, caps, posts, sills, bracing, bridge ties, guardrails); car timbers (car framing, including upper framing, car sills); framing for building (posts, sills, girders); ship timber (ship timbers, ship decking); and crossarms for poles.

Sulfate process—See kraft (sulfate) process.

Sulfite process—A chemical pulping process in which wood is cooked in aqueous acid sulfite solution containing free sulfur dioxide.

Sulfite pulp—A chemical wood pulp obtained by cooking wood chips in a bisulfite–sulfurous acid solution.

Summerwood—See latewood.

Surfaced Lumber—(See Lumber.)

Tangential—Strictly, coincident with a tangent at the circumference of a tree or log, or parallel to such a tangent. In practice, however, it often means roughly coincident with an annual layer. A tangential section is a longitudinal section through a tree or limb perpendicular to a radius. Flat-grain lumber is sawn tangentially.

Tension Wood—Abnormal wood found in leaning trees of some hardwood species and characterized by the presence of gelatinous fibers and excessive longitudinal shrinkage. Tension wood fibers hold together tenaciously, so that sawed surfaces usually have projecting fibers, and planed surfaces often are torn or have raised grain. Tension wood may cause warping.

Timber, Standing—Timber still on the stump.

Timbers, Round—Timbers used in the original round form, such as poles, piling, posts, and mine timbers.

Timbers—(See Lumber.)

Veneer—A thin layer or sheet of wood.

  • Rotary-Cut Veneer—Veneer cut in a lathe which rotates a log or bolt, chucked in the center, against a knife.

  • Sawed Veneer—Veneer produced by sawing.

Sliced Veneer—Veneer that is sliced off a log, bolt, or flitch with a knife.

Vertical-Grained Lumber—(See Grain.)

Vertically Laminated Timbers—Laminated timbers designed to resist bending loads applied parallel to the wide faces of the laminations.

Waferboard—(See Particleboard.)

Wavy-Grained Wood—Wood in which the fibers collectively take the form of waves or undulations.

Yard Lumber—(See Lumber.)

School of Environmental and Forest Sciences
USDA Forest Service State & Private Forestry
WSU Cooperative Extension
The Rural Technology Home Page is provided by the College of Forest Resources. For more information, please contact the Rural Technology Initiative, University of Washington Box 352100 Seattle, WA 98195, (206) 543-0827. © 2000-2004, University of Washington, Rural Technology Initiative, including all photographs and images unless otherwise noted. To view the privacy policy, click here.
Last Updated 10/13/2022 12:22:36 PM